Origanum Majorana, Marjoram, Marwa Plant
Marwa is the plant with the fragrant foliage. The Greeks called this plant Joy of the mountain and used it to make wreaths and garlands for weddings and funerals.
What makes it special:
- Marjoram attracts bees and butterflies.
- Marjoram is sufficiently attractive to make an excellent border planting for a garden.
- This keeps its full flavor even when dried.
Origanum Majorana has thin, gray-green leaves and in early summer, small, white to pink flowers appear along the stem. The flavor of the leaves are similar to oregano, but sweeter. Sweet Marjoram (Origanum majorana) is easy to grow herb well suited for growing in containers as well as the garden.
Marjoram plants are tender perennials, freezing temperatures will cause serious injury or death to the plants.
Planting and care
- More than 6 hours of sunlight a day is ideal for plant to grow well and natural direct bright light for the rest of the day.
- The soil should be well drained and fertile, rich in organic content for growing plant.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Apply 3 cup (Approx. 150 ml) water when top soil (1-2 inches) in pot feels dry to touch.
- As rule of thumb, Water the plant thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
- Do not over-water the plant.
- Apply water preferably in morning or evening.
Application of Fertilizer
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture easily. .
- During the main growing season feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month (Oct-Jan).
- Apply water immediately after application of fertilizer.
- When a plant outgrows in current pot, re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Do the re-potting late evening and keep the plant in shady area for 2 to 3 days and then move the plant in its suitable growing condition.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and dispose them away from the planting area.
- Spray Neem, Eucalyptus or Citrus oil for any insect/pest attack, as a primary treatment.
- Do not over water the plant especially when pot does not have drainage holes.
- Avoid applying water on flowers and leaves it may cause fungus infection.