Philodendron Burle Marx
Belonging to family Araceae, Philodendron is an excellent houseplant. The leaves are glossy, textured and heart shaped. They can survive anywhere between bright indirect light to partial shade and can brighten up any corner of the room. They make great ornamental choices as corner plants etc. These plants also have an added benefit as they fairly low maintenance and have air-purifying properties and can remove pollutants such as benzene, toluene etc from the inside atmosphere, improving the air quality.
About the Burle-Marx Philodendron Plant:
- The young leaves are narrow and heart shaped, and are bright green in color.
- The leaves have a glossy texture and they are popular choices as houseplants.
- These plants have air purifying properties and are known to remove pollutants from the inside atmosphere.
- The plant is a fairly low maintenance plant and thrives on low watering as well.
- The plant is also partial shade tolerant.
Planting and care
- Keep the plant indoor or outdoor with bright indirect natural light or bright indirect artifical light.
- Protect the Philodendron plant from direct sunlight as it can cause damage to the foliage.
- The soil should be well drained and fertile for growing Philodendron plant.
- Water the plant when the topsoil (1-2 inch) in pot feels dry to touch.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of Fertilizer
- During the main growing season (April – August) feed the Philodendron plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture easily.
- When a plant outgrows in current pot, re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Do the re-potting late evening and keep the plant in shady area for 2 to 3 days and then move the plant in its suitable climatic condition.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.